Monday 17 November 2008

Ill cat and other things ....

Well, Franky (that's what I call him although he is also known as Toe Rag or Mister or Pusskin) has had problems with his bottom for quite a while. Quite often he lost small amounts of poo all over the house. But only for the last week it has been bloody poo and today there is simply just blood running out of his behind. Being on benefits, I can't just go to the normal vet as the initial consultation costs £29 plus the medicines and procedures. Strictly speaking he is not my cat either, but the neighbours, he just spends at least 80% of his time here. I guess it's more quiet and relaxed, in his normal home there are 5 other cats and maybe the food is better over here too. AND he gets a cuddle here, which might account for something. I am not on speaking terms with the neighbour, so a bit stuck with what to do with Franky. Anyway, I phoned the RSPCA this morning and asked if I could bring him down. I explained the situation and they said they would treat him as a stray animal, which would mean they keep him and give the 'real' owner a chance to get in touch and reclaim him ... obviously for a fee. If she doesn't, then he would be put up for adoption as soon as he is healthy enough. I enquired if I could claim him in that case, but was told that they do not re-home a cat into the area where it came from. I seriously thought about this option, but this household has grown attached to Franky and he does have a good home here. I then phoned the PDSA and knowing what I know now, I told them that it was my cat and that I was on benefits.I registered him there and was told to feed him either cooked chicken and rice or tuna and rice for a couple of days. If his condition doesn't improve during that time, to phone and bring him in. So I have decided to opt for that for the moment. He seems relatively comfortable now, sleeping on the sofa. I shall keep a close eye on him and not let him out. Fingers crossed he will get better soon.

On the other hand, it looks as if I might not be able to go over to Germany for my daughter giving birth after all. Originally she offered to pay for my flight (about £100) but says now, that she hasn't got the money as she spent all the repayment she had from the benefits office. As her husband is still doing an apprenticeship, they really don't have much anyway. I certainly am not able to find this sort of dosh, trying to live on £25 a week is hard enough, saving from that is impossible. I am still hassling the housing benefit office to up their payments to my full rent amount, but they just dont contact me back. If I haven't heard by Wednesday this week, I will pay their office a visit. Although it isn't a public office, I will make sure they listen to me. My daughter, as usual, doesn't understand that I don't have the money. Strange, as she in particular should know the situation!

I miss my friends from London terribly. I could so do with a personal chat! Or just a shoulder to cry on. But I hate telephones, so I wont do it over the blower. And I can't even run away with having the animals to look after LOL. Seems I am a lot more sad now that I have managed to cut down on the anti-depressants. Or maybe I am just able to feel again? The strange thing is, I feel happy as soon as I am out and walking, being close to nature, the sadness only hits me indoors. If it wasn't too cold, I would sleep out in the garden in the tent for a few days. ;-)

1 comment:

My Other Blog said...

Can you find 'cat nappies' for the sick kittie? Or, maybe tie a handkerchief around her butt. Or does she lick herself clean? I couldn't put up with a cat pooing and bleeding all over my house!
So sorry about you not having the money to vist your daughter. Maybe she'll find the money for your ticket, once the baby arrives and she's desperate for help!
MYS