Friday 22 August 2008

Another First Day ...

Today is my official first day of detox. Not sure what I am feeling yet. Elation in a way that it is all over and I seem to have beaten the virus. But also starting to feel a 'what now' emotion, i.e. having to think about the future. I know it is too early to make firm plans yet, I am still far too confused with too many chemicals swirling around in my blood. But the threatening wall of having to find work again and having to actually leave the house every day is slowly mounting in front of me. Many of my detoxing friends on the forum report a great sadness around about the 2nd or 3rd week. I have thought about this, and it seems to be quite obvious that that will happen. As my answer to a post regarding this topic on the Nomads says:

What we have gone through is massive. Shoving our body full of chemicals, beating the virus, all that fighting before and during tx, physically and mentally. And then what? It's bound to leave a void, which expresses itself in sadness for a while. But I firmly expect that a better, bigger us will emerge in the end, we will be stronger and more assertive, more sure of what we want and more importantly what we dont want! In the meantime, let's embrace the sadness and grieve for everything we have been through, it's a bit like an old mate has died, isnt it?

I know I will have to be patient to come to that point, but I think I will ... I think we ALL will.

3 comments:

hepkittie said...

patience, yes i guess we all need more of it to get through this waiting for SVR thing...ugh!

best of luck to you sista x

H. Heart said...

I couldn't say it better. We will have patience. We must remember we aren't given more then we can handle.
Look how much you've endured already. You have lots of inner strength I bet you didn't know you had.
Hugs
Humble

My Other Blog said...

It's rough starting treatment and it's rough when it's over. It's as if you were in a car that was going 100 miles per hour, then the car stopped suddenly, but you keep going, not knowing where you'll land.
Give yourself some time. You're not going to run a marathon this week or within the next month. I think we get 'tunnel vision' when we're on treatment - we become so focused on it that we don't notice a lot of things going on around us. But life is going on all around you - look for it, it's there, it wants you to be a part of it.
Be easy on yourself- you've been through a lot!
And I just noticed that you, hepkittie, humble and I are all 24-weekers and we understand this 'what now?' feeling - you never hear a 48-weeker wonder what they're going to do next, now that their treatment is over - those people are totally exhausted and all they want to do is put it behind them and move on.