Sunday 12 October 2008

Self Self Self ...

... as in: self-assess, self-diagnose, self-prescribe, self-medicate, self-certificate, self-analyse and most of all talk crap to self!!! Can you tell? I have been to the GP surgery on Friday. My conversation with the doctor went as follows:

Me: Good afternoon, Dr. *unpronouncable name*

He: Ah it's you again, what can I do for you today *big sigh*

Me: Well, you know I finished treatment for HepC about 6 weeks ago ....

He: Yeeeees ....

Me: ... my bones ache more than ever and even the prescribed painkillers don't touch it most days ....

He: Yeeeeeeees, but what do you want me to do about it?

Me: I don't know, I am not the doctor ...

He: Have you tried Ibuprofen?

Me: I didn't know I could take that on top of the Co-Codamol ...

He: Oh, maybe not ... When will the Hep Team see you again?

Me: Not until January ...

He: Ah yes, I see! *stares onto computer screen* Take Diclofenac again.

Me: I did try that before treatment, but didn't get on well with it.

He: Yes I see *continues staring at screen*, you changed medication within a week.

Me: Yes, because it was horrible.

He: Well, you just have to try it again. *he proceeds to print prescription*

Me: Ok. *have given up by that time*

He hands me prescription.

Me: Thank you. But one more thing ...

He sighs.

Me: I have lost 2 1/2 toenails during treatment. Will they grow back? The haven't so far.

He: Let me see! *has a look at my toe nails* That's fungal.

Me: I thought so. What can I do about it?

He: Well, there are some brilliant tablets, looks like you need them for 3 - 6 months.

Me: Aha ...

He: But I won't describe them as you got HepC.

Me: Aha ...

He: I don't know, you might be able to convince another doctor, but not me.

Me: Ok, I didn't want to take any more tablets anyway.

He: Just hang in there!

Me: Ok.

He: Bye then ...

I get up and walk to the door, not sure what just happened there. No point in discussing anything else, I have lost my confidence ....

He: Oh by the way, your pains are fibromyalgia, which is normal after Interferon, so don't worry.

Me: Bye.

This was the doctor I particularly required NOT to see, as he is a complete arse. I will now write a letter and request that they put it on my notes, that I will only see certain doctors (who I asked for when making the appointment, which I was prepared to wait for). What else can I do? Another very pleasant NHS experience. Thank you!!!

2 comments:

H. Heart said...

What a horrible man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know how you feel, the pain is terrible some nights.
Can you see another doctor that might be more sympathetic? Can you call the hep-c and tell them you need them now?

Changedit said...

Humble, the next time I feel like I need a doctor, I will insist on another one. I have written a letter to the health centre and insisted, that it is put on my notes that I dont want to see that particular doctor again. So hopefully, that will do the trick. I can also call the Hep team, but I know how busy they are and not so much geared up for after care. But if all else fails, I will ressort to that.

xxx