Tuesday 7 October 2008

Life continues ....



... and on the 6th day she created water and let it fall from the sky ... bloody weather! Although I quite enjoyed going for an early morning walk with Isis in the rain and wind. Finally I can really enjoy my walks again. And although I am doing much more walking, I have put on weight!! Over 2 kg! I will have to watch it!

I think I have finally recovered from the travel bug and the holiday blues. The holiday was fab, and with having a hire car, we were able to see bits of the country, where tourism is just a mere word in the dictionary. The first 3 days we spent driving down the coast and stopping wherever it took our fancy. I never realised that the Costa Azul has 100s of kilometers of sandy beaches, with hardly anybody using them! Most places dont provide for tourists and the ones that do, nobody would be seen dead in them. Needless to say, I didn't go in the water. 18 degrees and very high waves is nothing for me. I prefer bath tub temperatures and mirror-like water surfaces. Did I mention that I am not a very confident swimmer? My near death in France from a stingray might have something to do with that! The 4th day/evening was spent in Lisbon. Although it is beautiful in parts architecturally, the masses of people gave me the creeps. Most of them were very hoity-toity and looked at us as if we were beggars. Tried to ask directions a couple of times, because wisely we left the city map in the log cabin at the camping, but people's steps just excelerated and they were gone very quickly. We did find Baixa Alto in the end, after walking up a very steep hill. I kept thinking: I couldn't have done that a month ago. But I was doing better than the company present, and didn't really even huff! We went for a meal in one of the small roads between beautiful old houses, where I only could eat a vegetable soup and bread. Most menus in Portugal only contain meat!!! And they won't go out of their way to offer anything different. Afterwards we ended up in the Hardrock Café, a place I have always despised in all countries I have been too - a little bit like McD's - but I had to go, as my companion wanted to tick it off his list of 'have to do before I die'.

The last 3 days we spent driving back through the inland on my request. We visited Tomar (old crusader castle and famous monastry of the Templars), Coimbra (lively student town with lovely cafés and lots to see) and the last night in Porto (beautiful town, lots of hippy shops, but dreadful provision of affordable restaurants). Driving across the high plateau was very stunning to see for me, extensive eucalyptus forests, slightly sloping hills and gorgeous houses/farms.

The holiday has proven once again: I am asexual. I did not see one man or one woman I fancied!!! Might be still the Anti-Ds, but I doubt it. I just haven't got it anymore and I am not even sad about it. In fact, I am glad to be rid of the hassle. Makes dealing with people a lot easier!

Last words to the week away: Although I travelled with somebody, who is rather old for his age, forgetful and draws total blanks a lot of times, it was relaxing despite me doing all the driving (1000 miles without a panic attack) and I am very glad, that I do not need to report any late night rubbing up against my back or other sexual innuendos. He was the perfect gentleman (in that respect) once again and I am grateful for it. I am still a reborn virgin! LOL






1 comment:

someone said...

The anti-d's can make the wieght grow so be careful with them... I'm glad you had a good break but I know you are missed in places... let us know how you are....